Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'm a Groupie

For the past few years, I've regularly attended For Sister's Only (FSO) in Atlanta. I usually wait until the last minute to purchase my ticket, because I don't like to commit to doing things too far in advance. It just seems like whenever I make plans too early, something comes up.

Anyway, FSO usually has some great authors in attendance; however, this year was exceptional. I met Stephanie Perry Moore, Joy King, and Vanessa Davis Griggs to name a few. Now, I fully understand what it means to be a groupie. Well, maybie not a bonafide groupie, but let me explain.

The first time I met Eric Jerome Dickey, I was in awe of him. That was when he had a book signing at the Margaret Mitchell House. I didn't think another author could have that effect on me... until, I met Marissa Monteilh at FSO. Let me tell you, I felt like I was in the presence of a rock star. The sistah was absolutely beautiful, and I'm not just talking about her appearance either. Her positive, bubbling over energy was infectious. When I tell you that I absolutely love her, I'm not kidding. I didn't want to part company. By the time I did leave, I purchased three of her books just because. One because I enjoy reading her work, and two simply because I had never connected with another author on such a level. It was like sistah-girlfriend to the nth degree. To use Marissa's description of our encounter, "It was like a smile out loud experience." I was delighted to learn that she now lives in Atlanta. Hooray! I'm so looking forward to having lunch with her.

Have you ever met an author, or other high profile individual who made you feel that way?

No comments: